Thursday, September 2, 2010

Yung Tau Fu

Yung Tau Fu and many other spelling of it.

I am referring to one famous stall in Hawker Center/Food Courts here in Singapore. I am a curious cat and I always like trying out new stuffs. This has been on my list when I ran out of choices in Hawker, but was too shy to try out before. I was scared that i cannot do the sign language when ordering this in case they talk to me in Mandarin. One day however, I braved myself to try it. It was easier than I expect it to be. The steps:
1. get a bowl and a thong, and go to the area where the different veggies and Stuffed Tau fu are. Start picking up whatever stuff you fancy. Minimum would be around 5-7 pcs. Prices is per pc of veggie or tau fu. I think the cheapest you can get here in Singapore is 30 cents. Price range would be around 30 to 70 cents. I haven't tried most places yet, but so far that's the prices I got.
2. After taking what you want, give your bowl to the counter, and they will cook it for you. They will ask you if you want soup or dry, and if you want noodles or rice to go with it.
3. Wait for your food to cook

Easy right? It's a clear soup, you can eat it with Sambal or some chili sauce. More of yung tau fu here and here.

And of course, being the dreamer as I am, I wanted to make my own yung tau fu. Since I just mostly choose veggies and fish balls, I tried to make it at home.

Ingredients:
broccoli
spinach
fish ball
fish sauce/light soya sauce/regular soy sauce
chicken stock concentrate/chicken stock cubes
roasted/fried shallots
spring onion
sambal
water

i'll leave the quantity to your choice

very easy procedure:
1. boil the water
2. when water is boiling, add in the veggies and fish ball(you may want to add in the veggies that takes time to cook first so as not to overcook the others) I noticed that broccoli is not that hard to cook so it goes together with the other veggies
3. wait for it to boil again and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in chicken cubes/chicken stock, light soya sauce depending on how you want your soup flavoured
5. once done, transfer to a bowl, top with roasted shallots and/or spring onion - this is optional
6. serve with sambal - this is also optional

Itadakimasu!

No comments:

Post a Comment